The Company, WKN Windcurrent (WKNWC), with a German parent company called Pure New Energy (PNE), forms part of a leading, global renewable energy Independent Power Producer (IPP) with a 25+ year and 5 GW track record and operations in 10 countries on 3 continents. The Company wishes to expand its business activities in South Africa and, in addition to its well-established wind project pipeline, is aiming to develop a significant solar photovoltaic (PV) utility scale portfolio in South Africa.
WKNWC is recruiting for a Project Development Manager to focus on the securing and development of solar PV projects in South Africa. The role will include responsibility to ensure that the projects selected are progressing in accordance with internal and external expectations and requirements, and ultimately generate value to the Company. While the primary focus of the role would be solar PV project development, work will also be required on WKNWC’s wind projects.
Duties and responsibilities
- Identify, evaluate and secure greenfield (and potentially brownfield) solar PV (and wind) project sites and opportunities, for both REIPPPP and private offtake opportunities.
- Provide local support on solar PV technical design, optimal plant layout and yield assessments.
- Appoint and manage external consultants to undertake inter alia EIAs and other environmental/ planning studies (e.g. rezoning, SALA, etc.), and grid connection, preliminary engineering and site design studies.
- Manage other project permitting and approval processes, which entails inter alia regular engagement with relevant government departments (e.g. the DEFF, DAFF, etc).
- Perform project activities in accordance with company best practice and stakeholder expectations with respect to budget, quality, communication and timelines.
- Thoroughly report, document and administer all project related information.
- Be actively involved in relevant industry association committees and initiatives.
- University degree in engineering, science/technology and/or environment/planning.
- 5 – 10 years’ experience in the development of solar PV projects in South Africa, ideallyhaving participated in previous rounds of REIPPPP.
- Genuine passion for renewable energy and team-focused mindset.
- Fluent in English and proficient in Afrikaans.
- Drivers license, with ability to perform short, regular trips throughout South Africa.
- Fluent in Microsoft office software package, with GIS and/or AutoCAD skills a benefit.
Please submit your CV and short motivation to Mike Mangnall if interested – firstname.lastname@example.org