Brief update on the solar PV SEA process
Subsequent to the first project steering committee (PSC) or expert reference group (ERG) meeting in March 2013, the CSIR has refined its methodology and results based on all comments and recommendation received. Refinements include:
· additional datasets; and
· determination of development potential through normalisation based on pull factors e.g. high social need area, industrial hubs/ports, network losses and substations.
Delays have predominantly resulted from the submission and verification of data.
The DEA is currently reviewing the DEA EIA application mapping and report which will be released as soon as it is approved.
The second PSC /ERG meeting is planned for 31 July 2013 where the new results will be presented.
Procedure for downloading the national solar datasets:
(1) Go to SEA website: http://www.csir.co.za/nationalwindsolarsea/
(2) Click on the link: National Solar Dataset
(3) You are re-directed to the SPATIAL INFORMATION website of the DEA: http://egis.environment.gov.za/Download.aspx?m=25&amid=66
(4) On the left side of this page, click on link: “Data download”
(5) Click on the + sign to open the data download menu:
|1. DEA data|
|2. Other data|
|3. Data archive|
(6) Click on “2. Other data ”
(7) Click on “Solar data” to open all folders containing the following solar datasets available for download:
Uploaded: 2013-04-05 11:44 | Size: 16.23 Mb
Global Horizontal Irradiance (GHI): kWh/m2/annum
Uploaded: 2013-04-05 11:44 | Size: 16.50 Mb
Photovoltaic Yield on fixed tilt plane (kWh(electrical)kWpeak(installed)/a).
Uploaded: 2013-04-05 11:47 | Size: 18.99 Mb
Photovoltaic Yield with single axis tracking (kWh(electrical)/ kWpeak(installed)/a).
Uploaded: 2013-04-05 13:33 | Size: 0.78 Mb
Optimal inclination for solar panels.
For any further comments on the solar PV SEA process you can direct them to SAPVIA (email@example.com) to be forwarded onto the CSIR who are managing this project. Please indicate “Solar PV SEA I&AP comments” in the title of your email.